Monday, June 20, 2005

BIG APPLE CON!

REPORT FOR FRIDAY, JUNE 17th

First day of the con! Since I would be taking the LIRR (Long Island RailRoad) into NYC from my Aunt's house in Long Island, I was forced to deal with the
train's schedule. Thus, I had to get up at 5am to catch a 6:41am train. Now, this time of day isn't a stranger to me, as I am known to stay up til 5 or 6am
writing or whatnot, but waking up at this time was horrid. I only got maybe 5 hours of sleep (thanks in part to a call from Tess :p), so I was exhausted.
Anyway, I got ready and got down to the train station at about 6:35am, bought my ticket ($20 ouch! - and that's just TO Penn Station), and boarded the train
for the two hour trip. (Sidenote: try to never use the bathroom on the LIRR, unless you don't mind that port-a-potty cleanliness...)

I got into Penn Station a little before 9am, which meant I had three hours to kill before the con started. This wouldn't have been so bad, except that I had
my small carry-on rolling bag with me and the idea of dragging that around wasn't very appealing. Still, I decided to get something to eat in Penn Station
and do some exploring. After grabbing a bite to eat, I wanted to locate the Penn Pavilion so I knew where the show would be. Ends up, it was right across
the street attached to the Pennsylvannia Hotel. I found out that I could check in and all that jazz at 11am, so I went off to wander the streets of NYC.

Ok so, after walking around a bit for about 30 minutes and getting bothered a few times by folks trying to hand me crap and whatnot, I ended up getting a
Starbucks frap and heading back to the Hotel to wait it out until I could get into the show. What did I do in the lobby for that time? I basically spyed
on people's conversations. Yeah, I'm getting real good at that too (not sure it's something to brag about), was doing it on the train as well. I even took
notes, I was that bad. :p

Finally, 11am came and I was able to check in and get into the con to set up. Once I got upstairs where the event was being held, the talent director, Allan
helped me find my space. I was amazed to find myself smack dab in the middle of guys like Michael Lark, Brian K. Vaughan and Tony Harris. I never expected
to be located near such awesomely talented folks, people I respect so much. Anyway, I got set up and not long after, Tony Harris and his wife arrived. Tony
is a very cool guy, and his wife is very sweet. I ended up talking to her for a few minutes. Brian K. Vaughan arrived not long after as did Andy MacDonald of
NYC Mech. Andy came by and we spoke for a few minutes. Always great to see and talk to him and Ivan Brandon (who didn't make it to this show).

Anyway, the con went well. I met some great folks, a number of them are BKV Cabal members or Bendis Boarders (Steve Zegers, Mark, BNolan, and many more who's
names are escaping me - I'm so sorry, I feel bad for forgetting names). And, BKV showed me one of his scripts and talked to me a bit about his style, which
was very cool. I love seeing how different each writer is with their approach and styles.

I had to leave the con a bit early to catch the train back (another fun two hour trip). But, Friday was a good time which left me tired, but excited about
Saturday. :)


(Saturday's report coming soon!)

No comments: